Wednesday, February 24, 2010

The House I Built

February 24, 2010
Today I was driving in Montrose, the village where I lived until the age of 19 when I left to get married, the village that is now almost completely swallowed up by Fairhope itself. I decided to whip out the digital camera and get a photo of the house I built in 1999 and lived in until about 2003.

It was based on plans from Southern Living Magazine for a "Gulf Coast Cottage." Our mother gave the three children lots off the back of her property and each could do what he or she wanted with it. I wanted to build a house that looked and felt like the old-fashioned houses that had graced "old" Montrose in the years I grew up there. There is a large central hall and equal-sized rooms at the front on either side. I had the time of my life buying antiques to fill it, buying antique architectural elements (the front door, for instance) to enhance its connection to the past. It was a wonderful house to live in.

8 comments:

Christopher said...

Nice.

johnnyfish said...

Great taste.

Steve said...

GET IT BACK! lol, Mary Lois that is a marvel. The home is magnificent, so graceful. Love the expansive porch, tall shaded windows and grand entranceway. I
also love the elevation, which I imagine, so close to the gulf, is a good idea both for the added breezes and generous rainfall.
Once again... don't think I could have parted with it.

Artjudy said...

Beautiful, Mary Lois. So are you saying it has a "dog trot"?

Claibie said...

I love that house, Mary Lois!!! Good looking, spacious, light and airy! Great design!! Pretty inside and out!!

Steve said...

Lovely

Anonymous said...

In the first photo, are the windows upstairs part of a bedroom with a slanted ceiling?

Mary Lois said...

There is no upstairs in this house, Anon, but I assume you are asking about the house in the post below. The answer is, the ceiling isn't slanted as I recall, but the dormers jut out as if through the roof. Very funky old-fashioned architecture, and appealing to a lot of people.